The Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is situated on the flood plains of the Sapta-Koshi River in Eastern Nepal and cover 175 sq. km. The reserve is a wetland of international significance. In 1987, it was declared a Samsar site. It is home to more than 280 bird species including 20 duck species, 2 species of ibises, many storks, egrets and herons. The endangered swamp partridge and Bengal florican are found here.
The Koshi Barge is an extremely important resting-place for migratory birds. The last surviving population of wild buffalo or arna is found here. The reserve is also home to many types of mammals such as hog deer, spotted deer, wild boar and blue bull. The endangered Gharial crocodile and Gangetic Dolphin have been recorded in the Koshi River.
The vegetation mainly includes tall khar-pater grasslands with a few patches of khair-sissoo scrub forest and deciduous mixed riverine forest. During the monsoon, the reserve is flooded with depths ranging from 10 to 300 cm. From season to season the Sapta Koshi River changes its course.
* brief introduction of the facility and program.
* 1:00 p.m.: Arrival and welcome.
* 1.00 p.m. Lunch
* 2.00 p.m. Bird walk in he marshland outside the reserve to see the storks, ibises, snipes, waterfowl, birds of prey etc.
* 6.30 p.m. Slide show on the natural history of the reserve followed by Nepali dinner.
* Overnight at KOSHI TAPPU National Par
* 6.30 a.m. Breakfast
* 7.30 a.m. Full day excursion on boat and four wheels drive with pack lunch to see waders, waterfowl, birds of prey, marsh crocodile, otters, wild water buffalo and Gangetic Dolphins including a visit to Pink Tower (full day)
* 6.30 p.m. Cultural dance followed by barbecue dinner.
* Overnight at National Park
* 6.30 a.m. Breakfast
* 7.30 a.m Bird walk inside the reserve in the scrub forest, grasslands and wetland habitat with pack lunch to see swamp partridge, black-necked stork, buntings, bulbuls etc.
* 12.00 noon Pack lunch
* 2.00 p.m. Continue bird watching or optional elephant ride to watch Arna the wild water buffalo, blue bull, hog deer, fishing eats etc.
* 6.30 p.m. Stargazing
* 7.00 p.m. Chinese Dinner, overnight at National Park
* Early morning: Bird watching around the camp area or leisure.
* 8.00 a.m. Breakfast
* 0900 ........ Departure from the lodge for Kathmandu
* Continue your other schedules in Nepalk.